This recording by Dan Attrell is simply a list of important dates in the history of the Western Esoteric Tradition; admittedly, it is by no means exhaustive. Herein events and persons are mentioned alone with very little added context or interpretation. It is largely meant as a study aid for chronologically framing issues relating to religious orthodoxy vs. heterodoxy in Western Europe. Though we should more generally concern ourselves with processes rather than events, it can be useful to review series of events in chronological order as a means of concretizing chains of influence, and disentangling the knotted mess that is history. Hopefully this can serve as a rough scaffolding for anyone with any further interest in these particular people or events.
Check out some of the following books for more information:
- Giordano Bruno and the Hermetic Tradition
- The Rosicrucian Enlightenment
- Western Esotericism: A Guide for the Perplexed (Guides for the Perplexed)
- The Arabic Influences on Early Modern Occult Philosophy
- Gnosis and Hermeticism from Antiquity to Modern Times
- Western Esotericism: A Concise History