Two classicists, Dan Attrell and Stephen Millburn discuss ten concepts shared by most pre-Christian religions in the ancient world.
2) No doctrine, no dogma, no “official view” (i.e. no Credo)
3) Very little intolerance between systems of belief
4) No denial of worldly pleasures – No dualism
5) No concept of conversion
6) No sin or redemption
7) No damnation
8) Belief in the power of oracles, portents, and divination
9) Religious observance was for succeeding in THIS life
10) No churches, and no hierarchy – temples were homes of gods
If you have any personal questions you would like to have answered in one of our next talks, please include them in the comment box – don’t be afraid to ask about specifics.